Share | 

How credible is Alex Jones?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveL

Number of posts: 260
Registration date: 2008-06-04

PostSubject: How credible is Alex Jones?   Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm

I've seen him on various TV shows, heard him on the radio, and have read articles on PrisonPlanet and InfoWars, but I'm not sure he offers hard evidence to back up his assertions. (Yes, I've seen documentary evidence of Operation Northwoods.) He seems to be ignored by LRC and Mises.org. Is he simply a populist or is he a crank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ObviouslyTrue.com
blackacidlizzard

Number of posts: 234
Registration date: 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

He's a shotgun.

If one isn't aware of the issues found outside of mainstream historical narrative, Jones is one of the larger voices who is bringing attention to such things. One could do less useful things than watching a handful of his movies and investigating the events he talks about.

But, he tends to run with single sources as if they are unquestionably true, and has no problem characterizing the most innocuous statements as messages of the true dark intent of the satanic brotherhood. The number of "the big day is coming" predictions he has made is alone enough to qualify him as "crank-ish" at the very least.

He's good for shaking off the belief that one "knows what's up," but as with the most popular person of discussion on this board many simply shake off their old certainty and adopt a new and still flawed certainty, and Jones has no interest in dissuading people from doing so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Conrad

Number of posts: 5647
Registration date: 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 am

blackacidlizzard wrote:
He's a shotgun.

If one isn't aware of the issues found outside of mainstream historical narrative, Jones is one of the larger voices who is bringing attention to such things. One could do less useful things than watching a handful of his movies and investigating the events he talks about.

But, he tends to run with single sources as if they are unquestionably true, and has no problem characterizing the most innocuous statements as messages of the true dark intent of the satanic brotherhood. The number of "the big day is coming" predictions he has made is alone enough to qualify him as "crank-ish" at the very least.

He's good for shaking off the belief that one "knows what's up," but as with the most popular person of discussion on this board many simply shake off their old certainty and adopt a new and still flawed certainty, and Jones has no interest in dissuading people from doing so.
very good analysis

blackacidlizzard

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Argent

Number of posts: 514
Registration date: 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm

If someone has any inclination to think for themselves but has somehow thus far been shielded from any reason to doubt, I think Alex Jones can be a spark that encourages them to eventually do so. But for those who want to spend their lives consuming pre-digested "truth," well. It doesn't much matter who's feeding it to them. It's dangerous any way you slice it. (*Segues into a rant about FDR* Razz)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Argent

Number of posts: 514
Registration date: 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Building on my last post, some late-night ramblings:

It seems that most people need a well-defined framework through which to interpret the world and make sense of events that would otherwise seem chaotic, unpredictable, etc.* They need a hero to present this framework to them and do most of the interpreting for them, and they need a scapegoat to blame all bad things on. Without the belief system and the hero, the world would just be too terrifying for some.

State and/or religion perform these functions for many. But for those who have fallen out with mainstream belief systems for whatever reason, people like Alex Jones and Stefan Molyneux make nice substitutes. They can (and do) explain everything, they focus heavily on villains, and they have set up their frameworks so that even things which would seem to contradict their theories can be interpreted as strengthening them. Stefan has the Utopian angle going for him as well; not sure about Alex. Come to think of it, Zeitgeist is another one to add to this list.

It's all mind traps for people who want their minds to be trapped. How would the world look if most people didn't have this need? Would I want to live in it? I'm not sure.

---
* I mean, this most certainly happens at the neurological level. In fact, I would argue that that is what has allowed us to become as successful as a species as we have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveL

Number of posts: 260
Registration date: 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 am

Thanks for the replies, gents.

It also could be that Alex Jones has devised or established his own media persona as a modern Cassandra, on the fringes of the mainstream, where his primary audience resides--a region inhabited by the shallow and kooky.

The more scholarly types don't need him (if Jones is merely a clearing house of info) because they do their own thinking and research. Jones seems to present info rather than arguments, and because info has to be verified, Jones himself might tend to slip out of the picture for anyone digging deeper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ObviouslyTrue.com
blackacidlizzard

PostSubject: Re: How credible is Alex Jones?   Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:42 am

Yup, that was my experience, and has been for others I know of as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How credible is Alex Jones?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1